Thursday, October 23, 2008

Casa de Nelly all to myself

Caption: ¨Casa de Nelly.¨

I found my own archaeological treasure in a guesthouse called Casa de Nelly here in San Augustìn. Everyone comes to this pueblo of 2000 people to see 1000 year-old cold hard stones chiseled by people that had a smaller vocabulary that I do in Spanish. Paralyzed by the beauty I have decided not to do anything. The archaeological sites and piles of rocks that surround me out of sight will be here when I come back someday. I have more important things to do....

Caption: ¨The garden that absorbs you.¨

Casa de Nelly is cursed with magnificent tranquility and is baptized in hourly rains. Cycles of rain, clouds, rebirth of the sun and a thousand days of weather are lived in 2 hours time- a new chance of life every few minutes. I read DH Lawrence all day. Compared to a regular day on the bike I stayed dry and happy and still. I think I´m gradually losing my mind, or perhaps creating a new surly one.

I am enjoying every dry relaxing moment of my life. Savoring it. My legs up in a hammock and I sink into a deeper, more profound relaxation than ever before. It´s wonderful. I drink it in. My heart beats thick and slowly. Bronze Chrysanthemums wave ¨hi¨ to me from the garden that snuggle in around me.

A 60 year old purple-haired lady no taller than a hobbit who looks over the place brings me a coffee and tells me that Saturn`s return is at 2pm. I am happy and content about that news. Do I have time for another day here?

Caption: ¨Sun, rain, flower, rain, sun.¨

I guess it´s a good thing I have a 60 day travel VISA or I would never leave Colombia. I could do without the stress of hearing that imaginary ticking clock. I decide to instead drown out that sound by putting on a song. Sometimes you find a song you have heard before but never really listened to and it defines your feeling at that exact moment. That song right now is ¨My dearest friend¨ by Devendra Banhard from the album Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon.

Swinging.

Have you ever drank a cup of coffee while being surrounded by a garden of coffee plants while a little indigenous lady gingerly picks red ripe Arabic coffee beans with sun scorched hands from the branches?

Cheap luxury adventure travel. It´s the only way I can explain it. My life.

Spinning.

I´m skipping gaily, no, hop-scotching through mine fields with an intrepid smile painted on my face. Clueless, careless and very very alive. About to be more so. That feeling of understanding the world only lasts as long as those hairs are standing on your arms, then it slips through your fingers like water.

Dripping.

Caption: ¨This sums up my life. My view from the hammock.¨

Caption: ¨You can feel the heavy solitude.¨